University of Kwazulu Natal UKZN NSFAS Funding Application
University of Kwazulu Natal UKZN NSFAS Funding Application
University of Kwazulu Natal UKZN NSFAS Funding Application – Apply Now:
The National Student Financial Aid Scheme
Do you come from a poor or working-class family with a combined household income of not more than R350 000 per annum?
The Department of Higher Education and Training has a bursary designed to assist you with funding towards a tertiary qualification of your choice. The bursary is administered by the National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS) and is available for persons who wish to or are studying at a public institution of higher education and training (university or TVET college).
- Students from families with a combined household income of not more than R350 000 (three hundred and fifty thousand Rand) per annum, registering at TVET colleges and universities for the first time,
- Students returning to TVET colleges and universities to complete or continue their first undergraduate qualification. Only select post-graduate qualifications are funded, please refer to the website for the full list.
- Students from families with a combined household income of up to R122 000 (one hundred and twenty-two thousand Rand) returning to TVET colleges and universities after a gap year or two to complete their first undergraduate qualification.
- Students from families who are recipients of child support grants or disability grants administered through South African Social Security Agency (SASSA) will automatically qualify for NSFAS funding.
- Orphans will automatically qualify for NSFAS funding, provided there is confirmation of their status.
What the bursary covers
NSFAS funding covers the actual cost of tuition plus prescribed learning materials -this means the tuition fee for the specific programme that the student it registered for; these fees differ depending on the field of study (e.g. engineering; medicine; art; history etc.) and the institution that the student is admitted to. AND dependent on eligibility a subsidised accommodation and living costs including meals. The bursary funding is for the duration of study and does not require any repayment.
Upon qualifying for the NSFAS bursary, a beneficiary is required to sign a NSFAS Bursary Agreement with terms and conditions. Beneficiaries will then be expected to
- Comply with all academic requirements as set by institutions.
- Attend and participate in lectures, tutorials and academic support programmes as required by the institution;
- Complete all set assignments and/or tasks as required in terms of the due performance requirements of the Institution;
- Undergo all tests and examinations (written and oral) as required in terms of the due performance requirements of the institution;
NSFAS funding for postgraduate qualifications
NSFAS only accepts funding applications for the following postgraduate qualifications:
B TECH: ARCHITECTURAL TECHNOLOGY
B TECH: ARCHITECTURE (PROFESSIONAL)
B TECH: BIOKINETICS
B TECH: BIOMEDICAL TECHNOLOGY
B TECH: BIOTECHNOLOGY
B TECH: CARTOGRAPHY
B TECH: CHIROPRACTIC
B TECH: CLINICAL TECHNOLOGY
B TECH: DENTAL TECHNOLOGY
B TECH: EMERGENCY MEDICAL CARE
B TECH: ENGINEERING: CHEMICAL
B TECH: ENGINEERING: CIVIL
B TECH: ENGINEERING: ELECTRICAL
B TECH: ENGINEERING: INDUSTRIAL
B TECH: ENGINEERING: MECHANICAL
B TECH: ENGINEERING: MECHANICAL: MECHATRONICS
B TECH: ENGINEERING: METALLURGY
B TECH: ENGINEERING: REFRACTORIES
B TECH: FORESTRY
B TECH: HOMOEOPATHY
B TECH: NURSING
B TECH: NURSING SCIENCE
B TECH: NURSING: COMMUNITY NURSING
B TECH: NURSING: PRIMARY HEALTH CARE
B TECH: NURSING: OCCUPATIONAL NURSING
For more information on how to access this funding, click here www.nsfas.org.za
APPLICATION FOR NSFAS AND OTHER FUNDING
If you wish to apply for financial aid, you need to make an online application for NSFAS (National Student Financial Aid Scheme) funding on their website – www.nsfas.org.za – as universities no longer issue NSFAS financial aid applications. If you are unable to access the internet, you may call the NSFAS Call Centre (Telephone Number 086 006 7327) for assistance of how to apply manually. If you wish to contact NSFAS by email their address is email@example.com
The NSFAS Call Centre (086 006 7327) is also able to assist you through the application process or clarify any funding queries that you may have. The NSFAS application process for each year opens on 1 August and closes on 30 November of the previous year. Late applications will not be considered. Before commencing the online application process, please remember to scan a copy of your SA identity document as you will need to attach it to your application. The online system will also advise you of any other supporting documents that you may need to attach. NSFAS will advise you of the status of your application once they have received it. Please note that NSFAS can only make final funding decisions after they have received your Grade 12 Final Examination results.To apply for NSFAS funding, Click here: http://www.nsfas.org.za/
National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS) applications for each year opens on the 1st August of the previous year.
Students who wish to apply for NSFAS Funding need to make an online application for funding by logging onto the NSFAS website – www.nsfas.org.za
In view of the above, Student Funding no longer prints any financial aid applications for NSFAS.
Students who have received NSFAS loans in the previous year will be automatically migrated to the NSFAS application process for the new year and DO NOT need to submit financial aid applications again for the new year.
The following categories of students ARE required to complete the NSFAS application process if they wish to be considered for NSFAS loans in the new year.
- All first time applicants for NSFAS funding.
- All students who received bursaries in the previous year.
- All students who were not NSFAS loan recipients in the previous year.
- Students who received “Allowances Only” assistance in the previous year.
Before commencing your NSFAS on line funding application on the NSFAS website – www.nsfas.org.za – you must scan a copy of your ID document as you will need to upload it as an attachment. NSFAS will advise students of any additional supporting documents that need to be attached with the application.
The NSFAS call centre team is available to assist you with any queries and you may call them on 086 006 7327 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
NSFAS Financial Aid Applications open 01 August and close 30 November of the previous year. Students are advised to apply early and not wait until November as no late applications will be accepted by NSFAS.