University of the Free State UFS Department of Physics
University of the Free State UFS Department of Physics – Check below:
The University of the Free State (UFS) Department of Physics was one of the first departments established during the foundation of the UFS in 1904. Over the past century it has grown into a prestigious institution with research conducted in:
Energy Sustainability (SARChI Chair) / Material Science / Nano Science / Photoluminescence / Luminescent Solar Concentrators / Quantum dot synthesis / Segregation and diffusion / Thin films / Astrophysics
It is also the only institution in South Africa with exclusive access to an observatory and a digital planetarium in the form of the two observatories projects: Boyden Observatory and Science Centre & the Naval Hill Digital Planetarium (Old Lamont-Hussey Observatory).
At school and planning your future?
For those who are still at school and want to plan a future career path, see ‘SA Institute of Physics’. This informative site will provide you with information on physics in South Africa as well as career opportunities in physics. Physics is relevant to many diverse career choices! Even if you don’t major in Physics, you may want to include one or two courses in your learning programme at the UFS.
The department presents the following undergraduate programmes:
- Bachelor of Science in Physics and Chemistry
- Bachelor of Science in Physics and Astrophysics
- Bachelor of Science in Physics and Engineering Subjects
- Bachelor of Science in IT majoring in Computer Science and Physics
- Bachelor of Science in Physics and Geology
- Bachelor of Science in Physics and Mathematics
Planning to do postgraduate studies?
The research in the department falls into two main categories – surface science and astrophysics – and the postgraduate studies focus on these areas. The Physics Department has sophisticated surface analysis apparatus at its disposal and has gained an international reputation as a surface science laboratory.
The following postgraduate programmes are available:
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) with specialization in Astrophysics
- Bachelor of Science (Honours) with specialization in Physics
- Master of Science with specialization in Astrophysics
- Master of Science with specialization in NanoScience
- Master of Science with specialization in Solid State Physics
- Doctor of Philosophy with specialization in Astrophysics
- Doctor of Philosophy with specialization in Solid State Physics
To walk among atoms and stars, please contact:
Programme Director (Academic Enquiries)
Dr Johan Venter
T: +27 51 401 3336
T: +27 51 401 2321
Head of Department
Prof Koos Terblans
T: +27 51 401 2321