University of Cape Town UCT International Orientation
University of Cape Town UCT International Orientation – see details below:
Your first weeks of studying in a foreign country can be difficult. This part of the site contains information for first-year international students. Our Orientation programme for first-year students will provide you with much useful information about the teaching and learning environment and the social and extra-curricular aspects of university life. It aims to help you adjust to your new environment and ensure that your experiences are positive ones.
All new international students at UCT, including transfer students, must report to the International Academic Programmes Office (IAPO) during their first week on campus. During this check-in, we will complete the immigration procedures required by the South African government. If these procedures are not completed at the beginning of the term it could cause you serious immigration and academic problems in the future.
At IAPO, you will also receive information about topics such as how to register for classes, paying university fees, health insurance matters, getting to know South African culture, and information about life in Cape Town.
Both university staff and experienced students work in the centre, so this is an excellent opportunity to start meeting other students from your country and from around the world.
IAPO provides the following services:
- introduction to the services and facilities at UCT
- pre-registration checks of study permits, fees and health insurance
- the opportunity to make friends with fellow students just before starting your course
- tours of the campus and the city.
- advice on getting health insurance and opening a bank account
- the availability of students who can offer help and advice on all questions concerning your studies.
For more information visit the IAPO website.