IHT Hotel School Courses
Diploma in Hospitality Management
Level: Diploma (registered on NQF Level 6; SAQA ID: 63169)
Qualification: Diploma in Hospitality Management
Duration: 3 years
Intakes: January (March 2022)
Diploma in Hospitality Management:
NQF level: 6 | SAQA ID: 63169
Full time three-year programme
Our programme commences with a fun-filled orientation week including:
An overview of the Hospitality Industry
We kick-off the programme at one of Cape Town’s leading hotels followed by site inspections to some of our industry-partner hospitality establishments.
Team Building activities
Students are divided up into teams to participate in various team-building activities including a Scoutabout, visits to tourist attractions in and around Cape Town and other ice breaker activities.
Campus orientation and lecturer introductions
Once students have gotten to know each other through the team building activities, they are provided with the opportunity to also get to know their new lecturers and campus in an interactive manner.
This full-time three-year programme aims to equip students with the necessary knowledge and skills to work in supervisory and management positions in the various sectors of the Hospitality Industry.
This programme offers students comprehensive academic education together with hands-on skills training. The Diploma in Hospitality Management provides students with an academic qualification that will equip them with the necessary skills and abilities to enter the workplace with confidence and become attractive to potential employers in the hospitality and tourism industry.
IHT graduates are well sought after for various positions across a wide range of hospitality as well as private business sectors from Guest Houses, Hotels, Restaurants, Conference and Exhibition Centers, Event Management Companies, Luxury Cruise liners and Game Lodges.
This Hospitality Management Programme will also benefit students looking to obtain the necessary entrepreneurial knowledge and skills to start their own business.
Theory classes in this programme are facilitated by passionate lecturers that use various teaching methods to facilitate learning. This includes self-study, industry-related guest speakers, various exciting video material and also subject-related field trips.
The Hospitality Management programme has three academic periods:
January – October: Theory classes on campus
November – April: Internship in industry
June – December: Theory classes on campus
January – July: Theory classes on campus
August – December: Final industry internships
Your road to success starts here
The programmes offered at IHT Hotel School are Co-operative Learning Programmes, which simply means that apart from providing students with hands-on career directed theoretical knowledge on campus; they also receive opportunities to apply their acquired knowledge whilst working real-time in a hospitality establishment.
Our learning programme includes two Work-Integrated Learning Modules which requires students to work in the industry for 26 weeks during their second year of studies and 22 weeks during their third year of studies.
Here they receive invaluable on-the-job training from our industry partners to prepare them for their future positions in the hospitality and tourism industry.
The following are some leading hospitality establishments where IHT students are currently completing their industry internships:
- One & Only (Cape Town)
- The Liz McGrath Collection, including The Marine (Hermanus)
- The Belmond Mount Nelson (Cape Town)
- Lanzerac Hotel & Spa (Stellenbosch)
- The Royal Portfolio Boutique Hotel group including The Silo (Cape Town), La Residence (Franschoek), and Birkenhead House (Hermanus)
- 12 Apostles Hotel, Red Carnations Hotel Group (Llundudno)
- Fancourt Hotel, Spa & Golf Resort (George, Garden Route)
- Grootbos Private Nature Reserve (Stanford)
- Century City Conference Centre & Hotel (Century City)
- Newmark Hotel group including Motswari Private Game Reserve (Hoedspruit), V&A Hotel (Cape Town) and the Queen Victoria Boutique Hotel (Cape Town)
- Botlierskop Private Game Reserve (Hartenbos, Garden Route)
- Spier (Stellenbosch)
- The Cullinan, Southern Sun (Cape Town)
- Delaire Graff (Stellenbosch)
- Leeu Collection Boutique Hotels (Franschhoek)
- Le Meridien Mina Seyahi Beach Resport & Marina (Dubai)
- Atlantis, The Palm (Dubai)