University of Stellenbosch Faculty of Law

  • Post author:
  • Post category:Courses

University of Stellenbosch Faculty of Law

University of Stellenbosch Faculty of Law

University of Stellenbosch Faculty of Law – See Details Below:

History

The university town of Stellenbosch is situated between the Boland mountains, in the heart of the Cape winelands. The University of Stellenbosch traces its origin back to the opening of the Stellenbosch Gymnasium in 1866. The Gymnasium subsequently gave birth to the “Arts Department” which became “Stellenbosch College” in 1881. In 1887, the golden jubilee of Queen Victoria’s reign, the Stellenbosch College was transformed into the “Victoria College” in honour of the Queen. The possibility of the establishment of a single national university in Cape Town after the unification of South Africa, seriously threatened the continued existence of the College and the status of Dutch as an official language of the Cape Colony. The Victoria College, however, was not prepared to give up its heritage. By April 1918 it had managed to convince the government of the need for the institution, and Victoria College then became the University of Stellenbosch.

See also  List of Courses Offered at Tshwane North TVET College

At the centre of Stellenbosch, at the corner of Victoria Street and Ryneveld Street, is the Old Main Building, home to the Stellenbosch Faculty of Law. Inaugurated in 1886 as the main building of the Victoria College, this building also serves as a monument to commemorate the 200th anniversary of the establishment of the town by Simon van der Stel in 1686.

University of Stellenbosch Faculty of Law Contact