UCT PhD in Business Administration Online Application
UCT PhD in Business Administration Online Application – see details below on how to apply for PhD in Business Administration…
HOW TO COMPLETE YOUR PHD APPLICATION Now that you’ve decided to take the next step, this is what you need to know about applying for the PhD programme at the UCT GSB. Please read the PhD application guidelines for more detail.
Before you proceed to application, click on the links below for information:
STEP 1: PREPARE THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENTS
- Three motivation essays
- Certified copy of your degree certificate and academic transcript (not necessary for UCT qualifications)
- Certified copy of ID or passport
- Proof of payment of the non-refundable application fee
- Two reference letters from individuals who know you in a professional context; one needing to be an academic from your highest qualification
- International applicants whose first language is not English should provide either:
-A score of at least 570 (paper-based); 230 (computer-based) or 88 (internet-based) on the TOEFL test. This must be obtained within 5 years before applying to UCT.
-Alternatively, a recent overall band score of 7.0 (with no individual element of the test scoring below 6.0) on the international English Language Testing System (IELTS).
Please courier or hand-deliver hard copies of these documents to GSB admissions at the Breakwater campus.
Note: Each certified copy of qualifications, transcripts, ID or passport must carry an original stamp from a Commissioner of Oaths. Documents which have previously been certified and then photocopied are not acceptable.
STEP 2: NOMINATE A SUPERVISOR
Your nominated PhD supervisor must be a full-time academic at the GSB and must be actively publishing in the scholarly literature in the field in question. GSB faculty can discuss applicants’ research ideas and preliminary proposal at their discretion, but we advise applicants not to contact potential supervisors without some preliminary research ideas.
Note that it is not always possible to find a supervisor who is both suitable and available. An applicant cannot be registered if there is no available supervisor for the proposed research at the GSB. For a full list of GSB faculty and their research interests, please see here.
STEP 3: PREPARE A PRELIMINARY PROPOSAL
Your preliminary proposal should be approximately five pages in length or 2 500 words. The purpose of the proposal is to make a case for the research to be undertaken, and it will need to show that the applicant has the ability to identify a pertinent research question, has at least an initial grasp of the relevant literature, and has some of the necessary competencies in research methodology and practice that are required for the completion of an independent study research degree. The proposal should include (not necessarily in the following order):
- An abstract of 100 words
- An outline of the essential background literature
- The rationale of the proposed research, with reference to the intended practical and theoretical contributions
- The key question(s) to be addressed and the main objectives of the research
- The approach to be taken in doing the project, including a preliminary outline of the proposed research design and data generation and analysis methods
STEP 4: SUBMIT YOUR MASTERS DISSERTATION
The link to your Masters Research Report dissertation and mark obtained (you need to have graduated at the time of registration) should be emailed to email@example.com.
Please do not email your Masters research report dissertation, only the link.
STEP 5: PAY YOUR NON-REFUNDABLE APPLICATION FEE
|South African and SADC applicants||R100 (One Hundred Rand)|
|Applicants from all other countries||R300 (Three Hundred Rand)|
STEP 6: SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION ONLINE
Complete and submit your UCT online application.
When completing the “Programme of Study” section, please select the following:
- 2020 academic year
- Level of Qualification: Doctoral
- Faculty: Commerce
- Academic Qualification: Doctor of Philosophy
- Specialisation or Major: Business Administration