How to Apply to Wits University 2023 – 2024
Wits Application Breakdown
Note: Applicants are encouraged to apply as early as possible in the application cycle. Applications close at the end of June for all specialised programmes and at the end of September for all other programmes.
Have you calculated your APS? You’ll need to do this before applying. Find out how here. University of Witwatersrand Wits APS Calculation
- 30 June (Faculty of Health Sciences; Bachelor of Architecture; Bachelor of Audiology, Bachelor of Speech-Language Pathology, Bachelor of Arts in Film and TV)
- 30 September (all other programmes)
- R100 (SA citizen)
- R700 (International applicants)
How To Apply To Wits University
STEP 1 – Apply Online
To apply online, go to: www.wits.ac.za/applications/
- You may apply for a maximum of three programmes (order of choice does not matter).
- If you apply for two programmes within one Faculty, you are advised to apply for one programme in a less restricted faculty (e.g. Humanities, Commerce or Science).
- Try to keep your options open, especially when applying for programmes in Faculties such as Health Sciences or Engineering.
- Do not enter the duration of the programme. You are applying to go into 1st year of study.
- A non-refundable application fee of R100 for South African citizens, and R700 for foreign citizens, is required.
30 June – Faculty of Health Sciences (all programmes); Bachelor of Architecture; Bachelor of Audiology, Bachelor of Speech-Language Pathology; BA Film and TV 30 September – All other University programmes; Residence applications.
Does your degree programme have additional selection procedures? Some degrees have additional selection requirements such as portfolio and essay submissions, auditions or National Benchmark Tests. Please click on Additional Forms below to see if this applies to you.
Pay Application Fee
- Non-refundable application fee of R100 for South African citizens
- Non-refundable application fee for foreign citizens of R700
- Payments are to be made before closing dates.
- Use your T Number of Person Number as a reference
How to pay
Deposit the exact amount into the University’s Application Fee account:
- Standard Bank, Account name: Wits University – Application Fees. Current Account Number: 200 346 385, Branch code: Braamfontein 004 805. CI Number 074A. (International payment swift code: SBZAZAJJ). Use your person/student number as a reference.
- Pay by cash or credit card at the Wits Fees Office, Ground Floor, Solomon Mahlangu House (Senate House), Braamfontein Campus East, Jorissen Street, Braamfontein, Johannesburg, South Africa. Use your person/student number as a reference.
- EFT – Use your T Number of person/student number as the reference.
STEP 2 – Acknowledgement of Application
- You will receive an email from the University acknowledging receipt of your application.
- The acknowledgement email will contain a personal number (which will become your student number).
- All records of correspondence from the University will be available on the student self-service portal https://self-service.wits.ac.za
- Check the status of your application and to-do items on the student self-service portal regularly.
- Keep your contact details up to date on self-service.
To view all correspondence generated on the Self Service Portal, go to the Main Menu > Self Service > Wits Student Self Service > Communication History
To check your Application Status on the Self Service go to the Main Menu > Self Service > Student Centre > Admissions > View Academic Application Status
STEP 3 – Upload Supporting Documents
- If you did not upload supporting documentation at the time of application, you can still do so via the student self-service portal: https://self-service.wits.ac.za
- Log in with your personal number and the first six digits of your ID.
- Current Matriculants: Upload your final Grade 11 Results. The results must be certified and bear your school stamp.
- Already Matriculated: Upload certified copies of all your matric certificates/foreign school leaving certificates. A physical/hard copy of the certificates, originally certified, must be submitted to the Wits Student Enrolment Centre (SEnC), Ground Floor, Solomon Mahlangu House (Senate House), Wits University via hand delivery, registered mail or courier.
- Other Tertiary Institutions: Upload a certified copy of academic records for ALL tertiary registrations, inclusive of a statement/certificate of good conduct, stamped by the institution’s registrar.
STEP 4 – Acceptance of Offer
- Current Matriculants may be made a conditional offer (depending on Grade 11 results). Please note that certain programmes have additional selection criteria (interview/audition/NBT).
- Firm offers can only be confirmed after receiving final matric results.
- Each choice of degree is treated as a separate application. The order of choice makes no difference.
- Communication offering a firm place and information about registration and orientation programme will reflect on the self-service portal, and registration and orientation details will be available on the Wits website.
- Places are limited, therefore you may only accept one offer. You are required to respond to the offer within a few days to secure your place.
Change your mind about your choice of study.
- DO NOT submit a new application!
- Refer to the closing dates to see if applications are still open for your new selection.
- If you are certain you want to change your programme choice, contact your Admissions Consultant to request the amendment to be processed. It is advisable to avoid multiple changes.
- Should your contact details change (e.g. email, residential or postal address or contact numbers) update your new details on the student self-service portal: https://self-service.wits.ac.za
Wits University Admission Requirements
- The National Senior Certificate (NSC)
- Foreign School-Leaving Qualification
- The National Certificate (Vocational) (NCV)
Admission Point Score (APS)
Are you an applicant who is currently writing or completed the NSC matric? If you are, then please read the information below regarding admission requirements.
NB: This is a guideline only. Meeting the requirements does not guarantee a place. Final selection is made subject to the availability of places, academic results and other entry requirements where applicable.
Wits tabulate the points score for all subjects on the following basis:
- English must be taken either as Home Language or as 1st Additional Language.
- Mathematics is compulsory for all numerate programmes in Engineering and the Built Environment, Commerce, Law and Management, and Science.
- Maths Literacy is accepted for some degrees (see Admission Requirements (NSC)).
- Wits do not distinguish between designated vs non-designated subjects when calculating the admission point score (APS)
- The APS calculation is based on the best seven subjects including Life Orientation
Wits University Courses Offered
The university offers a wide variety of under- and post-graduate qualifications that fit into the following faculties:
- Commerce, Law and Management
- Engineering and Built Environment
- Health Sciences
University of the Witwatersrand Online Application Form
Wits University Residences | Accommodation
Wits offer student housing in the form of living and learning centres. They offer a wide variety of residence accommodations, ranging from single-gender, catering residences, to mixed gender. You can view the different residences here.
The accommodations have access to libraries, sporting facilities, and your own space to relax and hang out with friends. Click here for more general information on Student Housing at Wits.
Campus Housing and Residence Life is responsible for overseeing all aspects of the University’s residence programme. This includes accommodation and meals, and the provision of recreational facilities and programmes for improved academic performance and the holistic development of students within a residential environment.
Wits also offer accommodation for Postdoctoral Fellows.
For more information on how to apply for a residence, click here.
WITS Online Application
The Wits online learning experience provides the opportunity to advance your career with occupationally relevant short courses that equip you with skills and knowledge that can be applied at work immediately.
The courses are designed to fit into your lifestyle so that you can study at your pace, on your schedule, no matter where you are. You learn from the best by receiving expert guidance from lecturers who are committed to academic and teaching excellence that is contextually relevant.
Postgraduate studies At Wits
- Find an academic programme.
- Applications are handled centrally by the Student Enrolment Centre.
- Before applying, PhD/Masters by Dissertation applicants should contact the school concerned to identify a suitable supervisor for their intended studies.
- Applicants are encouraged to apply online. An application guideline is available here.
- No more than two choices of degree and/or diploma are permitted.
- Please take note of closing dates, admissions requirements and general regulations.
- All postgraduate applicants are required to pay an application fee of R200. Current University of the Witwatersrand students who apply online is not liable for this fee. The Application Fee Account details are as follows: Wits University Application Fees
Account number: 200 346 385
Swift Code: SBZAZAJJPlease quote your Person Number when making payment as your Reference
WITS Postgraduate Closing Dates
School of Governance Postgraduate Diploma in Management in the field of Security – Closing Date 15 March Master of Management in the field of: – Closing date 15 April
- Governance (Development and Economics)
- Governance (Governance and Management)
- Governance (Public & Development Sector Monitoring and Evaluation)
- Governance (Public Policy)
- Governance (Security)
- Governance (Social Security)
School of Accountancy PG Diploma in Specialized Accountancy – Closing Date 30 May Wits Business School Master of Business Administration – Closing Date 31 March Postgraduate Diploma in Business Administration – Closing Date 31 March School of Governance Postgraduate Diploma in Management in the fields of: – Closing Date 14 June
- Public and Development Management
- Postgraduate Diploma in Management in the field of Sector Monitoring and Evaluation
Embury Institute for Higher Education Online Application 2023-2024
About Embury Institute for Higher Education
Embury Institute for Higher Education Accommodation
Embury Institute for Higher Education Vacancies
Embury Institute for Higher Education Courses
Embury Institute for Higher Education Faculties
Embury Institute for Higher Education Campuses
Embury Institute for Higher Education NSFAS
Embury Institute for Higher Education Payment Plans
Embury Institute for Higher Education Bursaries
Embury Institute for Higher Education Capitec Loan
Embury Institute for Higher Education Student Hero Funding
Embury Institute for Higher Education Student Loans
Embury Institute for Higher Education Fees 2023-2024
Embury Institute for Higher Education International Students
Embury Institute for Higher Education Durban
Embury Institute for Higher Education Midrand
Embury Institute for Higher Education Pretoria
Embury Institute for Higher Education Online Application 2023-2024-Details
ACT Cape Town Online Application
Belgium Campus Online Application
Centurion Academy Online Application
Durbanville College Online Application
eta College Online Application
George Whitefield College Online Application
Helderberg College Online Application
Lyceum Correspondence College Online Application
Open Learning Group Online Application
Pearson Institute of Higher Education Online Application
Potchefstroom Academy Online Application
Prestige Academy Online Application
Rosebank College Online Application
SANTS Private Higher Education Institution Online Application
The South African College of Applied Psychology (SACAP) Online Application
Southern African Wildlife College Online Application
St Augustine South Africa Online Application
Stenden South Africa Online Application
TSIBA Education Online Application