Goldfields TVET College Historical Background
- To be an institution of first choice, excellence and a cornerstone of the country’s skills development.
- To provide our community with aligned, responsible, relevant, quality education and training resulting in academic excellence, practical experience, employability and entrepreneurial skills.
- Integrity, transparency and accountability.
- Respect, professionalism and loyalty
- Continuous improvement
- Redress, freedom and democracy.
GOLDFIELDS TVET College forms part of the fifty registered and accredited public TVET Colleges in South Africa. It operates on 3 Campuses and 1 satellite campus around the Lejweleputswa District Municipality. Our College is established and operated in terms of an Act of Parliament; namely, the Further Education and Training Colleges Act 16, of 2006 and resorts under the Department of Higher Education and Training.
It was established in 2002 through the merger of the former Tosa Technical College and the Welkom College. It was then named the Goldfields TVET College, after a region of the Free State Province that is renowned for its gold deposits and mining activities.
We operate four campuses viz: Welkom and Tosa campuses. Our Central Office is situated in Welkom, Flamingo Park. The College attracts learners from all the regions and communities in the province. Our campuses are accessible to the communities we serve:
- Meloding satellite campus
- Skills Academy
Our College takes pride in its innovative approach to establishing itself as an institution of excellence; responsive to education and training needs and contributing to the skills revolution in South Africa. In this regard the college has a proven track record with various organisations such as NGOs, Business and Industry, as well as Government Departments.
Goldfields TVET College offers a wide range of courses/programmes that have been developed to respond to the scarce skills needed by employers. In an effort to ensure that courses are responsive to the needs of commerce and industry, the College goes to great lengths to secure linkages and partnerships with key role-players in commerce and industry and with the Sector Education and training Authorities (SETAs). Our College has an International partnership with PUM of Netherlands, given our place in an increasingly globalised labour market. This is to ensure that our education is internationally bench-marked against the best practice in diverse international settings.
The costs of the courses vary, but it is important to remember that Department of Higher Education and Training courses are subsidised at 80% of the delivery cost and the remaining 20% is paid by the student. Many hold full bursaries!
The College also strives towards continuous improving of quality in service delivery. Our students’ academic performances and achievements are rated amongst the best in the Free State Province. We continue to produce better qualified and more employable graduates and work very hard towards putting our students in a better position through their workplace based Experience industry links to secure jobs, apprenticeships or internships. We firmly believe that the way to success is by providing an opportunity to our College to improve the relevance of our curriculum, through input and feedback provided by our host employers as this keeps us abreast of the needs of industry and commerce.
We prepare our students for employability. The workplace plays an essential role as a key ingredient in catalysing graduates who able to start and succeed in their own business ventures, and to bridge their entry into the world of work.
Courses offered at the Goldfields TVET College are externally and independently quality-assured by the Quality Assurer, under whom the particular education and training programme or course resorts.